So, I decided to give myself a challenge, to make myself better if I possibly could in not complaining. You see I work full-time in a call center in tech support helping customers over the phone with their TV, Internet, and phone issues. (This is in addition to my part time business I run from home being a Professional Network Marketing through Young Living Essential oils) Rarely do I ever get a call saying “I just wanted to call and tell you that everything is great, and thanks for the service!” Perhaps of all the years, I’ve worked there, maybe I’ve received three such calls. So, there are times where people will call and just complain about their service or their bill, or sometimes both. Being in this type of environment can cause lots of negativity in not only myself but most of those around me too. It becomes very easy to complain about the complainers. So now, everybody is complaining. I wanted to be different and because I am a man of faith in God, I wanted to obey his word about not complaining. ((Phil 2:14) Do all things without murmurings and disputings.
(Eph 4:29) Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that is may minister grace unto the hearers.
What a challenge I faced!
So why 21 days of not complaining? The experts say that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. So my goal was to go 21 straight days without complaining to create a new habit. Hopefully, a habit that will continue after the 21 days is over. I have to admit, I wasn’t sure if I could go 21 straight days without complaining. I had tried this challenge about three years ago three different times. The first time I went only one day without complaining. The second time I went four days without complaining and the third time ten days without complaining, and on the 11th blew it. So I gave up the challenge.
Lately, though, I felt it was time for a change, so I decided to give it go once again. This time I went 21 straight days without complaining. I actually did it! It amazes me. Have you ever tried going one full day without complaining? It’s challenging!
I want to share with you exactly how I did it, and how you can too. Here’s how I did it:
* Prayer. Anytime I felt overwhelmed and wanted to spew out of my mouth complaints, I reached out to God in prayer and said a quick prayer asking Him to help me not complain.
* Wristband on the right hand. Get something to put around your right wrist. If you complain, you have to switch it to your left, and then start over the next day with the wristband on your right wrist again. The band reminds you that you are not to complain that day.
* I took it one day at a time. Even though my goal was 21 days of no complaining, I had to take it one day at a time. If I had kept in my the fullness of the goal, I might have become discouraged and given up. When I took it day by day, hour by hour, and even at times minute by minute, the compound effect took place in my favor.
* I remembered I had to be like a Rhino, and keep it up each day. Tenacity. (See Rhinoceros Success book by Scott Alexander).
* I actually had fun observing how others were getting upset about different things, and I would sit there with my tongue at times between my teeth not joining in with the crowd. It became even fascinating as if I was sitting there as a third person watching myself not complain and those around me continue to complain.
* I started each day out listing at least 10 new things I was grateful for. (Read the book The Magic by Rhonda Byrne).
* I’d feed my mind with positive things each morning. Three chapters out of the Bible, an inspiring video, and book that I’d read 16 pages from a day that would encourage me.
* And last but not least I used a combination of essential oils by Young Living that comes in a single roll-on bottle called Stress Away
So, that’s how I did folks! Now it’s my turn to challenge you. Will you take the challenge to not complain for 21 straight days? Try it, it’s fun,it’s a challenge, and it just may change your life.
Inspiring you to have more Wealth and Riches in every area of your life,